Date: March 9-19 (11 days)
Jose Dib Gomez
Duration: 10 days course with one day off in between.
Capacity: 20 people maximum
With Lodging: :
$13,000 (Only 6 places)
Before February 1: $11,000
(Students interested in scholarship please apply)
Special price for San Luis de la Paz residents.
(Please contact us)
Lodging or Camping Area
Join master Permaculturist Wayne Weiseman and Rancho Úha in this collaboration to realize a Permaculture Implementation and Design Certificate that will give students the knowledge, not only to design, but also to implement their own projects or assist in others.
During the course you will participate in the process of Implementing a design by specialist Permaculturist, Wayne. Using his experience and vision a specific area in Rancho Úha will be developed considering the elements required to realize a sustainable living environment. The design will be explained and implemented with the students covering a different theme each day.
ORGANIZATION, INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION:
Alice Boyriven Moreira de Souza
José Dib Gómez
Telephone numbers: 442 – 628 – 3912
468 – 689 -6934
468 – 104- 8021
415 – 151 – 0417 (For English only)
The course has been developed in this international collaboration, bringing together experiences from different climates and places. Our commitment is to share our experiences that we live day by day and teach our students well focused curriculum and implementation techniques that can be used in different situations anywhere in the world.
The techniques for developing a project come from many different ecological design systems to provide earth health and sustainable human habitats. Among these we can include Permaculture, Biodynamic, Biointensive and Organic Agriculture, Holistic Management, Forest Systems, Transition Towns, among others…
Information that has been developed and proven over a long period of time to be beneficial to Natural Systems will be used. The teacher’s experience comes from many different places, (climates, reliefs, plants, soils, etc). The information has been carefully thought out to provide students with the knowledge to identify the principles for developing Earth health and sustainable systems. Although the course is focused on semi-arid climate, the student will be able to work in different climates.
What You Will Learn
We will conduct a Certificate in Permaculture Implementation and Design in the first semester of 2022 at Rancho Úha in the State of Guanajuato. After taking the course, the student will be empowered to be able to work on sustainable housing developments.
They will be able to observe a terrain and its energies to make a design in which they can locate the elements to realize their systems and the tools to implement it.
The day to day teaching will be done through theory sessions covering a different topic until the complete syllabus is covered and the rest of the day will be spent working on the implementation of the design. There will be break periods and one hour for lunch.
Day 1 . – The Science of Design (Permaculture, Concepts & Themes, Methods)
– Practical: Map Reading and Observation (GISS)
– Terrain Observation
– Understanding Local Resources and Elements
Day 2 . – Understanding Nature (Patterns, Different Climates, Local Climates)
– Practical: Learning to Read the Terrain
– Soil Types
– Design Practice in Different Climates
– Understanding Project Requirements
– Climate (Legal, Financial, etc)
Day 3 . – Water
– Practice: Marking Levels
Day 4 . – Soils
– Practice: The Art of Composting
– Fertilizer and Input Preparations
– Seedling Soil Preparation
– Growing Bed Preparation (Intensive, Other Scales)
– Reproduction of Microorganisms and Biofertilizers
Day 5 . – Day Off
Day 6 . – Planting
– Practical: Plant Propagation
– Understanding Native Plants
– Planting Techniques
– Planting Calendar
– Companion Plants
– Greenhouse/Nursery Design and Construction
– Food Forest Design
– Forest Belts
– Pest Control
– Tree Pruning
Day 7 . – Plants (Half Day)
– Finish what was missing from the previous days.
– Animals (Half Day)
– Practical: Animal Management
– Animal Plowing Systems
– Holistic Management Planning
Day 8 . – Natural Construction (Design, Process, Methods, Characteristics, Finishes) Adobe, Cob, Bajareque, Stone, Tapial, Wood…
– Practical: Cob Construction
– Adobe Bricks
Day 9 . – Energy
– Practice: Firebreaks, Windbreaks
– Efficient use of firewood (Biomass)
– Calculation of Energy Expenditure
– Solar Panel Systems
– Passive Systems
Day 10 . – Community Strategies
– Practical: Different Alternative Community Strategies
– Alternative Governance and Economic System Development
– Meals during the workshop
– Lodging (On-site building or camping)
– Digital memories
– Participation certificate
– Work material.
– Didactic material, presentations, information and manuals.
– Sharing experiences!
– Drinks bar, coffee, tea, rain water.
What to bring
– Necessary to take notes such as: notebook, pens, pencils, ruler, etc.
– Cup, glass or thermos to drink liquids.
– Pants and T-shirts with the ability to get dirty and possibly torn.
– Hat or cap for the sun.
– Boots (capped is best) or safe working shoes.
– Tent (only if applicable).
– Seeds for an exchange among participants.
– Good music, camera, instrument that you know how to play.
– Participants must be in good health and give notice if any specific considerations need to be taken into account, as the practice requires intense physical exercise.
– DO NOT BRING GARBAGE. Avoid bringing plastic bottles and bags, cans, toxic repellents (insect repellents), batteries, any type of garbage you bring will be returned with you.
Food will be cooked on site and completely vegetarian.
All food will be supplied by the Nuhu Cooperative (http://www.nuhu.org.mx).
They ensure that the producers do not use chemicals in their production and that they treat their employees fairly.
*The first ones to register have the possibility to choose the first places of lodging.
In Dome Dome 1 – 2 persons
Domo 2 – 3 people
Cob House – 2 people
In Bodega In common room – 8 people
In camping area.
Options outside the ranch:
*For these options transfer to Rancho Úha is not included.
The payment will be directly with the places to stay.
– Posada Valerio – Room with 2 single beds $3,000 per person (10 nights).
Street: Guanajuato Neighborhood: Centro
City: San Pedro de los Pozos, State: Guanajuato
Located 20 Km. from Rancho Uha.
– Hotel San Luis – Shared room with 2 single beds = $3,450 per person (10 nights)
Street: Rayon No: 519, Colonia: Centro,
Municipality: San Luis de la Paz, State: Guanajuato
Located 8 km from Rancho Uha.
– Casa de la Luz – $350 pesos per night.
Only if more than 10 people get together – This requires a minimum of one month in advance.
In San José del Jofre.
Located 20 Km. from the site.
San Luis de la Paz:
– Parras Hotel
Street: Rayon No: 521, Colonia: Centro,
City: San Luis de la Paz, State: Guanajuato CP: 37900
– Hotel La Paz
01 468 688 4229
Highway #57 Km. 87 S/N, Entronque (in front of OXXO), 37900 San Luis de la Paz, Gto.
– Hotel Las Villas
01 468 688 4152
Carretera #57 Km. 308, el entronque and/or el crucero, 37900 San Luis de la Paz, GTO
Mineral de Pozos:
– El Secreto de Pozos
01 442 293 0200
Jardín Principal 6, Centro, 37910 San Pedro de los Pozos, Gto.
– Posada de Las Minas
01 442 293 0213
Manuel Doblado Numero 1, Centro, 37910 San Pedro de los Pozos, Gto.
All participants are encouraged to travel during the day.
We also encourage those who are attending the course and can, to organize a shared transfer, a discussion will be created on Facebook for this purpose.
By CAR take highway 57, approximately halfway between Querétaro and San Luis Potosí, you will find the entrance to San Luis de la Paz.
A few kilometers ahead you will find a detour to the left (where the San Luis Potosi and Victoria sign is), this will take you to Boulevard Sierra Gorda.
By BUS, The bus station is located on Boulevard Sierra Gorda #115, there are daily services from Mexico City, San Luis Potosi and several places in the State of Guanajuato and other states, there are also multiple daily services from the city of Queretaro. The main companies with service to San Luis de la Paz are: Primera Plus (https://www.primeraplus.com.mx/) or Chihuahuenses (https://www.chihuahuenses.com.mx/).
By PLANE: The following airports are located closest to San Luis de la Paz:
1) Querétaro International Airport (1.5 hours)
2) Guanajuato International Airport (2 hours)
3) San Luis Potosi International Airport (2 hours)
4) Mexico City International Airport (4 hours)
Once there, you can make arrangements with someone else who will be attending the course. If this is not the case, you will need to get to San Luis de la Paz and we can pick you up from the station. Further information will be provided upon confirmation of registration.